Sunday, July 10, 2011

Give Glory to God

Yet he did not waver in unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what He had promised. 
Romans 4: 20-21

A young woman who I have only known for a couple of months, handed me an envelope at church today. A couple of weeks back, I had given her a flyer for my pie sales.  She declined the pie, but said she would send me a check for one anyway.  I opened the envelope after church and she had written a very encouraging note with the above Scripture.  She also had included a check- not for $15 (the cost of one pie), but for $100.  I immediately began to cry and praise God.  It was so unexpected and I felt so humbled.  

There are so many lessons I have been learning during our adoption process.  Patience, of course. Faith, undeniable. Power of God, incredible. But there's one thing that has it's name all over it: Glory.  I remember a friend's response when we told her that God was calling us to adopt, how He changed my husband's heart, how He provided us with a larger house and how we would go to Russia to adopt a child with Down syndrome.  She said, "God is going to get a lot of glory out of this."  

I must add that when God is going to get a lot of glory out of something, that means you are probably going to be completely crushed and broken, so that undoubtedly you will not get in the way of God getting the glory He deserves.  Which is a good thing! My pride, my selfishness, my fears- they need to go! Oh, but the process of letting go can be so painful.  Our bad habits are hard to break.  

I have been so encouraged by many friends the past couple of days.   And actually they have been friends I haven't seen in a very long time.  I believe the Lord must have sent them when I needed their support.  He loves it when we cry out to Him, when we are on our knees before Him, because then we are available to be used by Him and ready to see His glory.

I am so convinced that God is using this adoption for so many of His own purposes.  We can and do testify to many people what God is doing and give Him all the glory.  People have come into our lives and crossed our paths who we never would have met.  We are becoming people more sensitive to the needs of others and learning what it means to be the hands and feet of Christ. We are learning what grace is, and how to show it to others just as we have received it.  In fact, this week alone, three people have told us that our children are so well-behaved!  That was such an encouragement to me and a reminder that God gives us abundant grace! 

So even though we wait and the road is long and the terrain is rough, none of it is wasted! His purposes are being fulfilled every day and if we waver, we will miss out on His glory.

My prayer is that you and I will not waver in unbelief, but will be strengthened and fully persuaded that God has the power to do what He has promised- for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words!