Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 3- Amusement Park

We arrived and got to spend some time with Maria in the waiting room, then the Montessori room and then the Dark room aka Psychedelic Lounge.

After that, we played outside and we put her in a swing.  It was really hard to get her in, but she practically started to cry when we said no.  Finally we got her in and she loved it.  Daddy had a great time pushing her and got some sweet kisses today.

Then it was time to go to the amusment park.  She started crying because she didn't want to get out of the swing. Finally Olga the director sweet talked her and pulled her out.  They brought out all of the children from her group, 2-3 year olds. Then we piled into three cars.  Kike held Maria in the back and I had Kelly Dirkes, Charlotte.

The kids loved the car ride, but got a little tired because it was close to lunch/nap already.  Kike gave Maria little peach/mango puffs to keep her still and she ate the whole cup.  Finally we made it to the park.  It had several playgrounds and a water fountain that shot up water from the ground that kids could play in.  It also had a small amusement park.  The kids all ran over to the train and wanted to go on. But first we had to wait for the Director to buy the tickets.  Maria was very impatient and we got to see her stubborn side.  She can flop and drop like the best of them!  It also was like 85 degrees and humid.  I think everybody was hot, thirsty, hungry and tired.  Finally they got to ride the train.

Daddy, Maria and Shrek

 Maria and Kostya

Charlotte and Dania

It was a hard day.  The director wanted us to go on another ride, but it was clear to us that making her wait in line was not a good choice.  We asked to go to the playground instead and she said no.  We're in this funny middle ground where we have no authority over her, yet we are trying to connect with her as her parents. Oh, and we don't speak Russian!  I was getting a little frustrated, but my hubby reminded me to relax.  We made her go on the helicopter ride with Kike and she was trying to climb out.

Then we went to a little toddler playground with houses, ball pits and climbing structures.

Kike went into the climbing thing with her, but then was told adults weren't allowed so we had to drag her out.  We were only there 5 minutes and then they said we had to leave.  This is why I didn't want to go in there! Let's just encourage another battle and see how the adoptive parents do!  Luckily I had cookies and water in my bag! Oh yeah, score one for the mama! She came right out! And we got to practice signing "please."  Poor thing was so tired, hungry and thirsty. We gave her water too and on the way home, she sat in my lap, snuggled up to me with her head on my chest, sucked her thumb and fell asleep.  Another sweet moment! Can't wait for tomorrow!


  1. That is awesome - you seem to be handling everything so well! Praying for continued bonding and sweet time with your girl... she is precious!

  2. She is so photogenic! Beautiful pictures and that laugh... I could watch that video all day and never tire of that sweet laughter.

  3. I cannot believe how tall she is at 3!! She looks so healthy and happy. I'm sure she will have that stubborn side too, especially having shared all her loved ones with other children. Whispering has been great with Mylie. It has to be at the right place and at the right time but she calms when I start to whisper and then she cuddles right up to me and whatever we were battling is over. Wishing you more precious moments with that beautiful angel. It won't all be easy but clearly God is with you and will lead you to places you never imagined. Kisses for Maria!!

  4. I am so excited to read this and see the pictures!!! I am finally catching up on all my blogs today. She is so sweet and seems really happy. I am so glad she is being "taken care" of.


Thank you for sharing your kind words!