Saturday, June 25, 2011

Heart full of praise

I am not here to talk about our garage sale today- it was a pretty disappointing turnout :(  Maybe everyone was at the Summer Solstice parade. But our thermometer has been going up! Actually this post is a result of what the Lord was speaking to my heart on Thursday.

In the morning, my two year old fell twice. Once leaving a bruised knot on her forehead and a scratched up nose. The second time, leaving a gauge right under her nose.  It was my free day- my friend was going to watch my kids for a couple of hours so I could get some free time.  Of course on my day, this happens. I was seriously thinking I might have to take Gigi to the ER to get stitches. 

Well, after taking it to the Lord in prayer, it looked like the bleeding was slowing and starting to scab over already.  So I ended up taking the kids to my friends house after all.  Earlier in the week I was feeling very exhausted from all of my pie baking and it was catching up to me.  I knew I needed to get out for a nice walk and get some endorphins moving in my brain. 

The beach was calling me.  I love the beach.  I love to walk at the beach and breathe in the salty sea air.  As I was walking, I started to pray and thank the Lord for this time alone. I started thanking Him for being able to walk completely almost pain-free.  I've walked this beach path many times and I began to recall one time about 18 months ago.  We were out as a family, the older two on scooters and the younger in her stroller.  About 10 minutes into our walk, I started to get sciatic nerve pain down my left leg.  I remember every couple hundred feet I'd have to stop and stretch out, just in order to make it back to our car.  I remember the pain I was in, both physically and emotionally. 

But today, I was praising God.  No sciatic pain, no leg pain and I was soaking it in!  Thank you Jesus for healing me!  Thank you for the ability to walk at the beach and enjoy a sunny day with clean air!  This day really rejuvenated my soul.

But as I was praising Him for my health, I began to think about other people around me who are suffering.  One of my friends has cancer.  That makes me sad. Another friend has a different struggle and questions the goodness of God.

But! I am so grateful for my friend and volleyball teammate from high school, Erica McNeal.  She has just published a wonderful book that is like a practical guide for supporting loved ones who are suffering or grieving.  I was able to download the ebook and read it in one evening.  I am so glad I did.  I sometimes don't know how to act or react towards someone in pain.  Especially if it's not something I have been through.  But Erica has done a fantastic job of giving practical suggestions and even guidelines on what not to do or say to your friends who are suffering.  Erica has written from the heart, based on her personal battle with cancer three times and the loss of five children- and she's only 33!

For the first four months, she is going to donate 100% of the profits to help three families: one battling relapsed cancer and two adopting children with medical needs. 

Please order and download Good Grief! now!  You will love the advice and will also be supporting three families in their time of need.  Here is her description of the book:


From my personal experiences through cancer and child-loss, I’ve written Good Grief!

This eBook is a resource guide filled with examples of the great support my husband and I received during our darkest moments, and the harmful words that stunted our recovery. It is only available here on my blog!

The problem is that people who are suffering don’t always know how others can provide tangible support because they don’t know what they need.

Their family and friends want so desperately to help, but don’t always know what to say or do. There is a disparity between the two that leads to conflict and unmet expectations – on both sides.

What You Can Learn From Good Grief!
Words That Can Be Misunderstood
Words That Encourage
Things To Remember
Actions That Are Intentional

For the first 4 months, all proceeds will be used in tangible ways to support 3 families:
Brian and Kelli Kremkau - Battling a relapsed cancer
John and Sonia Martin - Adopting a boy in need of a life-saving heart surgery
Joel and Megan Miller - Adopting two boys from Uganda, one with Sickle Cell Anemia

Please know that I understand that $14.99 for an eBook is high!

But, what my family is attempting to do is not really about selling an eBook – it is about tangibly coming alongside the above families. If I can provide some insight through times of tragedy AND help meet the financial needs of other families, it is a win-win situation.

Please keep in mind as you consider purchasing Good Grief! that ALL proceeds from every sale until October 11, 2011 are going directly these incredible people!

The eBook is just the cherry on top of helping offset the high cost of cancer treatment and bringing three orphans into their forever families!
If for any reason, you do not find Good Grief! helpful as you care for your loved ones in times of suffering, I will completely refund your money – no questions asked!

To learn more about the families receiving the proceeds, please see: 4 Month Fundraiser!

To check out my endorsements, please click here!
To read the FAQ’s of Good Grief!, please click here!
To immediately download Good Grief! straight to your computer, please click here!


After reading Good Grief!, I realized I need to listen more to people and not try to "fix" their problems or give them advice.  I already knew exactly what to do for my friend with cancer- A Key Lime Pie and a Cheesecake!

Thank you Lord for always being the same and for loving us when we are suffering and when we are not. You can't love us any more or less than you already do!  Thank you for being faithful and loving us even when we are not faithful! Draw us near to You, and help us to rest in You when we are in our darkest moments. You are worthy to be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words!