Monday, January 17, 2011

but God...

(I had to share what Adeye posted on her blog this week. This is my favorite blog and am so encouraged by her heart.)
 
But God...it's too darn hard.

"Follow me."  Matthew 9:9

But God...what if I fail miserably?

"Follow me."  Matthew 8:22

But God...what if what I'm feeling you call me to do is too painful--too challenging?

"Follow me."  Matthew 4:19

But God...I have everything I need right here and things are good in my life. 

"Follow me."  Matthew 10:38

But God...how can I possibly step out of my comfort zone?  What if........"

"Follow me."  Matthew 16:24

But God...it will cost money and so many sacrifices will have to be made."

"Follow me."  Matthew 19:21

But God...I am weak, tired, weary, lacking faith, and discouraged."

"Follow me."  Mark 1:17

But God...There is so much at risk.  What if my friends and family don't support me?  Goodness, what it they disown me?

"Follow me."  Mark 2:14

But God...what about my own family and their comforts?

"Follow me."  Mark 8:34

But God...my faith is smaller than a mustard seed.

"Follow me."  Mark 10:21

But God...I just don't know if I can do this.  I don't have what it takes.

"Follow me."  Luke 5:27

But God...can I trust you in this?  Really?  Can I?

"Follow me."  Luke 9:23

But God...I don't want to walk on the water right now--I like it here where things are calm.

"Follow me."  Luke 9:59

But God...can you see that my family is happy with the way things are right now?

"Follow me."  Luke 9:61

But God...how can I know for sure that I have heard your still small voice?

"Follow me."  Luke 14:27

But God...you listening?  How will this ever come together?

"Follow me."  Luke 18:22

But God...do you think you could give this little assignment to somebody else?  Please?

"Follow me."  John 1:43

But God...what if things fall apart and my world comes crashing down?

"Follow me."  John 8:12

But God...I'm afraid of failure.

"Follow me."  John 10:27

But God...give it all up?  Seriously?

"Follow me."  John 12:26

But God...{insert a great reason not to do something}

"Follow me."  John 21:19

But God...{insert just one more great excuse}

"Follow me."  John 21:22

Sound familiar?

Excuses.  Excuses.  Excuses.  All very valid, of course.

Yikes! 

Okay. Okay.  Okay.  I think I get it, Lord. 

I'm out of excuses.  Completely.  There are none. 

I will follow you with reckless abandon...come what may. 

God, you are trustworthy, dependable, good, kind, loving, patient, abounding in grace and mercy.  Faithful and True is your name--how can I possibly not trust you with everything I have?

"Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." 
Luke 9:23

Even when the road is hard, and things make absolutely no sense...I WILL FOLLOW YOU!

Simply because you said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your kind words!